(Adapted from SMEG)
4 teaspoons of dry yeast
½ cup caster sugar
1 ½ cups lukewarm milk
4 cups plain flour
4 teaspoons mixed spice
75 grams butter, melted and cooled
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 ½ cups sultanas
½ cup plain flour
1/3 cup water
1 tablespoon water
2 tablespoons caster sugar
- Place all bun ingredients (yeast, sugar, milk, flour, spice, sugar & egg), except raisins into a mixing bowl. Using a dough hook, mix for 10 minutes. Add raisins and mix for 2 mins until well combined.
- Place the bowl into the combi steamer and proof on steam 40c for 30 minutes until they double in size. OR leave bowl in a warm place to proof until it doubles in size (about 1 hour)
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board. Divide dough into 24 even sized pieces (approx. 60g) and shape into buns. Place onto a lined baking pan.
- Allow buns to proof again for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven on convection/hot air humid/fan force at 180◦C.
- To make crosses, combine flour and water in a small bowl and mix lightly. Spoon mixture into a piping bag (or small plastic bag with the corner cut out) and pipe crosses onto the buns.
- Bake on on the middle shelf for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- To make the glaze, combine water and sugar in a small saucepan. Gently heat until sugar is dissolved. Brush glaze over buns and allow to set for a few minutes before serving.
Thank you SMEG for sharing. For SMEG products please visit https://www.smeg.com.au/