Who doesn’t love pork with crackling?
Pork belly (if possible, choose thin-skinned belly with even layered fat & meat)
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp sake (Japanese wine)
1 tbsp mirin
1 tbsp sugar
1L Chicken broth
Method 1 Braise
- Place seasoning into a pan that fits the pork belly
- Gently place belly, skin side up into the pan
- Pour just enough broth to fill pan up to the skin. Leave the skin dry
- In V-ZUG, choose BakeOmatic Braise, well brown. Or in a convection oven braise at 160c for 50 minutes
- Remove belly from the pan and place it onto a tray, skin side up in the combi steam oven on Hot Air Steam 230c for 20-30 until crackles are visible.
- Reduce sauce on the stove until thick
Option Method 2 in a convection oven
- Rub a pinch of salt & pepper onto meat part of the belly, leave skin side untouched
- Preheat oven to 190c, bottom heat + fan (or pizza function)
- Place belly, skin side DOWN, at the lowest level of the oven. Bake for 30 minutes or until crackling is achieve
BIG SCORING TIP
Score along cut lines. Use a sharp blade to score where you intend to slice the pork later, for serving. This way, the knife doesn’t need to break through the crispy crackling.
Leaving the skin side to dry in the fridge overnight may help with the crackling. Salt on the skin is optional.