You do know your combisteam oven doubles as a dehydrator too, don't you? If you have a backyard full of home grown lemons, lime, rhubarb, rosemary, chillies, Celeriac, Bay leaves, garlic, you name it.. you definitely need to make some flavoured salt. Add zing to your food, bring life to salt. And, plain salt will be a thing of the past.
Whatever flavor you want to make .. chillies, Rosemary etc. No stalks
Rock salt (natural sea salt)
1. Dehydrate 50c on Hot air or convection for a minimum of 2 hours. High moisture produce take longer. When it feels crunchy to the touch, it is ready.
2. Blend in the mixer for no more than a minute. You want rough sand texture
3. Add rock salt. Continue blending for no longer than another minute. Keep checking on the texture. You want fine sand texture.
THAT's all folks!
You have yourself, homemade, organic, flavoured salt that lasts forever, made 'all by myself'. No expiry date. Because salt is a form of preservative 🙂 Yay!
1. Do not overblend. You'll get powder instead of the lovely salt/sand texture.
2. Do not be tempted to increase the temperature. Play with duration. And patience, my padwan. 8 hours, 12 hours is absolutely normal. Nah, don't worry of power consumption. At low temps, consumption is quite minimal. Any higher than 50c will have you end up will dull colors. Nothing bright, colors that pop up and jump at you..
3. Blend immediately when cooled. Do not wait for 'tomorrow'.. The color will turn dull over the next few hours. Salt will maintain the gorgeous colors.
Err.. what are you waiting for?
Get creative - make flavours no one has made before.. just as Captain Picard 'boldly go to where no man has gone before'.. Right I need Netflix now..