Here is an easy recipe for now. I am in the midst of adapting the recipe for a combisteamer so stay tuned. In the meantime, this is a stove top recipe. Excellent on swiss rolls, or toast (butter first then coconut jam..yumm).
1 1/2 cup sugar
Coconut cream (open a can of coconut cream and scoop the solid cream on the top)
Flavoring – pandan leaves, vanilla, or replace 1/2 cup sugar with palm sugar or nothing
Natural, authentic Brown Coloring (butterscotch)
1/2 cup castor sugar
2 tablespoons butter
- Mix eggs and sugar well and then set to gently simmer on the stove, stirring continuously
- When mixture thickens to the right consistency, like custard, add coconut cream
- let cool
- In another pot, melt sugar without stirring until it bubbles to a light shade of brown. Switch stove off and add butter. Mix well
- Add mix to custard, stir well
- Keep refrigerated in jars.