If you understand the terms ‘activation’, ‘autolyze’, ‘bulk ferment’, ‘crumb’, ‘feeding’, ‘starter’, ‘hooch’ and ‘leaven’, read no more.
This is for real beginners. Not for you, sourdough connoisseurs 😉
Before you stress yourself out, my young padwans, I want to remind you that you can’t possibly go wrong. So relax and follow the easy steps below.
1 packet yeast (7g)
4 cups flour (500g)
300ml milk (room temperature)
50g butter (room temperature)
2 tbsp Honey/sugar/maple syrup
Pinch of Salt
- Warm milk and butter* in the microwave or on the cooktop very, very gently.
- Everything goes into the mixer. Knead for 10 mins using the dough hook (or knead by hand, until smooth). The hardest part is done!
- Let the dough rest on the counter for 10 minutes. Next, the fun part.
- Shape the dough. Braid, or simply round the dough and place onto a bread pan, lined baking tray or a Bundt pan (oiled). Or round them up into small balls to dinner rolls.
- Place the tray into the combi steamer and proof on steam 40c for 30 minutes or until the dough doubles in size (buns are quicker)
- Brush with egg yolk.
- For loaves, use BakeOmatic bread or professional bake 200c for 30 mins (cold oven). On manual, pre heat the oven to 170c (convection with low steam) and bake for about 25 mins (check browning). For buns, set duration for 15 mins, and check browning.
For a savoury twist, add bacon, cheese & herbs such as rosemary, as you bask in the glory of a Greek goddess or god..
- Yeast : That you use ‘freshly’ bought yeast.
- Flour : Any regular flour
- *Warm Milk : To test for ideal temperature, warm milk very gently. Feel the temperature with your finger. If you don’t feel ‘anything’ as in, not cold or hot, it is perfect. This is the MOST important part of the baking process.
- Dough should be soft. If it feels dry, add a few drops of water and knead longer
- You can’t go wrong..
“Combisteam Cooking what a difference the 2nd batch was after some professional tips from the rockstar chef Nancy 🙌🙌Heavenly & scrupulously delicious little cinnamon pillows of goodness OMG! Thank you so much 👨🍳😋” Damien C