Have you ever felt the urge for a piece of good old butter cake? Well I did.
An easy recipe so you won’t need to worry about exact measurements.
1 cup butter (use estimates, don’t bother measuring)
3/4 cup caster sugar
3 tbsp sour cream/greek yogurt/ricotta cheese/mayo (moist cake warranty)
3 – 5 eggs (protein, the more the merrier)
1.5 cup self raising flour
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
Optional (If you have it, use it. If not, *hakuna matata)
1/4 tsp soda bicarb
2 tbsp milk/cream
2 tbsp cocoa powder (optional)
- Mix butter and sugar very well, until pale
- Add sour cream (or alternative), mix well
- Add eggs
- Add salt
- Using a spatula, fold in flour gently
- For a marble effect, mix a small portion of the batter with cocoa powder** and dollop onto/into white batter. Be creative .. Run a knife through the batter, in zig zag pattern
- Bake on hot air humid (or convection, low/minimum steam)160c for 30 – 40 mins. Use toothpick to test doneness. Or use BakeOmatic cake function and forget toothpick test.
Now, have your cake and eat it too!
**plus 1 tsp instant coffee for extra chocolatey yum